Every year when my birthday comes around, I get so excited. I love celebrating my birthday, probably for two reasons: my mother always made a big deal out of it when I was growing up and her birthday was 3 days before mine so it was always a special birthday week for me.
Since the time my mother passed away 20 years ago, I still keep up with the theme of birthday week. In fact, I love my birthday so much that I torture my friends every year and make them sing karaoke with me.
Life threw me a little curve ball this year. It’s funny what happens sometimes when you are asking for answers, you sometimes get them in a way that goes completely unexpected.
I have been asking the universe for many years now to help me slow down, work less and enjoy all of the benefits of all of the hard work I have put in. The abundance part started paying off. Over the past (little over a) year, I have had the most successful month ever in my jewelry business ever and I launched an online school for jewelry designers teaching them practical business skills. In the process, I also started teaching fewer yoga classes to make some space to work on these two businesses.
The final thing I have been asking the universe for is space to slow down so I can draw in someone special in my life. Being busy is cool, but I found that maybe I could be less busy and have a lot better results.
Well the universe sometimes acts in mysterious ways and I was forced to slow down! Friday I received an unexpected b’day gift, the gift of a torn calf muscle.
(My sister, Carlie, is also sporting a fractured shoulder so we make an awesome pair here in NYC. That’s us at my NYC family b’day dinner)
You might think I am crazy to call this a gift, but I am looking at it this way. I have two choices, to be totally annoyed and PO’d or to enjoy the downtime that this injury is forcing me to take.
So what am I doing?
- Getting a massage for my b’day with my Aunt.
- Spoiling myself to some much needed sleep instead of working out.
- Letting people help me when I need it (walking down 6th ave on crutches with grocery bags get’s everyone going out of their way to help you).
- Getting deep into my meditation practice.
- Being open to life, love and the positive lesson something like this can bring.
- Saying YES to a date with a cute boy.
- Designing more.
- Being creative at how to re-frame my morning routine with things that will pamper my soul rather than make my body go harder.
- Letting go of teaching yoga for now until I heal (well doctor’s orders).
- Donating my birthday to Charity Water (see more about this below)
I also love my birthday because it gives me the opportunity to be a little indulgent and spoil myself. This year I created a ring inspired by a ring I saw when I was in India years ago.
Birthdays are an important time to celebrate YOU!
How are you celebrating your life this year?
Please tell me below in the comments….
Plus here are a few of my other favorite birthday gifts that I have designed…
And another 40th birthday gift for a lucky clients!